Last updated: July 29, 2023
Maintaining a spotless and inviting space is of utmost importance for Airbnb hosts, as it directly influences guest satisfaction and the success of your rental business. The following comprehensive Airbnb cleaning checklist is designed to guide hosts in providing an exceptional guest experience.
It’s so important as an Airbnb host that your rental property is spotless. First impressions count and a thorough cleaning between stays is a great way to avoid bad reviews, give a good impression from the start and ensure you have happy guests.
By following these guidelines, hosts can ensure that their properties are not only aesthetically pleasing but also hygienic and welcoming, leaving guests with unforgettable memories and positive reviews.
It’s things like this that lead to repeat business and a higher occupancy rate, which all equals more money for you.
Short-term rental properties also need a very quick turnover cleaning so having a rental cleaning checklist like this to hand can help you to speed up the process.
To ensure a positive experience for your next guests, follow this ultimate Airbnb cleaning checklist to get your Airbnb rental to a very high standard of cleanliness.
Before you begin
Before starting the cleaning process, gather all necessary cleaning supplies, including:
- cleaning agents such disinfectant wipes, all-purpose cleaner, toilet cleaner, glass cleaner, bleach, furniture polish and any other cleaning products you typically use
- microfiber cloths
- vacuum cleaner
- trash bags
Ensuring that you have everything you need in one place will save time and streamline the process.
The easiest and quickest way to sweep through a rental property cleaning is to carry all your cleaning supplies in a cleaning caddy.
Make sure you have enough supplies for the entire space. You don’t want to run out of anything in the middle of cleaning.
Put on your cleaning clothes and gloves. This will protect your clothes from getting dirty and help you avoid spreading germs.
If you are cleaning a large space, breaking it down into smaller sections will help you stay organized and make the cleaning process go more smoothly. It will also make sure you don’t miss anything.
The bathroom is always a good starting point because it usually needs special attention, and by cleaning it first you’re making sure you have enough time to get everything done in there.
- Start by cleaning the toilet. Scrub the bowl with toilet cleaner and a toilet brush. Be sure to clean the rim of the bowl as well.
- Flush the toilet and then clean the seat and lid. Wipe them down with a disinfectant wipe.
- Scrub the sink with all-purpose cleaner and a sponge. Be sure to clean the faucet and drain as well.
- Wipe down the mirror with a glass cleaner.
- Scrub the shower or bathtub with all-purpose cleaner, and be sure to clean the showerhead and drain as well.
- Clean the shower curtain or liner. If the shower curtain or liner is removable, wash it in the washing machine. If it is not removable, spot clean it with a disinfectant wipe.
- Replace the towels and washcloths.
- Add fresh soap and shampoo to the shower or bathtub.
- Place a new toilet paper roll on the holder and ensure there are fresh rolls nearby.
Kitchens often need deep cleaning after guests have stayed in a rental property. Follow this comprehensive cleaning checklist for your Airbnb kitchen so your guests have a pleasant stay.
- Start by cleaning the stovetop. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner.
- Clean the oven. If your oven has a self-cleaning function, use it. If not, wipe down the inside of the oven with a dedicated oven cleaner product or degreaser spray.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave with a damp cloth.
- Wipe down the inside of the refrigerator with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner, or disposable cleaning wipes.
- Check the inside of the dishwasher and clean out the drainage if needed.
- Clean the countertops thoroughly with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner, making sure to get every crumb and speck of food.
- Scrub the sink and be sure to clean the faucet and drain as well.
- Wash the dishes in the dishwasher or by hand.
- Put away the dishes.
- Replace the trash can liners.
- Add fresh dish soap, dishwasher detergent, and garbage bags to the kitchen.
- Stock the fridge with anything you offer in your rental, such as fresh milk.
- Finally, sweep and mop the floor.
Guests often spend a lot of time in the living room so it’s worthwhile to stick to your cleaning routine in here, so it helps you to get good guest reviews.
- Dust the furniture. Use a feather duster or a microfiber cloth to dust all of the furniture in the living room.
- Wipe down the coffee table, end tables, and any other surfaces in the living room with furniture polish or disinfectant wipes.
- If the windows are dirty, wipe them down with a damp cloth and glass cleaner.
- Straighten up the curtains or blinds. If the curtains or blinds are dirty somehow and are removable, wash them in the washing machine. If they are not removable, spot clean them with a damp cloth.
- Check underneath the sofa cushions for debris and vacuum them if needed.
- Straighten the throw pillows and blankets.
- Plump up the sofa cushions.
- Add fresh flowers or plants to the living room.
- Vacuum the floors. Pay attention to any areas that are particularly dirty, such as under furniture or around the fireplace.
No Airbnb cleaning checklist would be complete without general cleaning tasks for the bedroom. In some ways, the bedroom is the most important thing for an Airbnb business. After all, guests sleep in them and the beds need to be clean, comfortable and able to provide a good night’s sleep to get you good reviews.
No doubt you have noticed that 5-star reviews on Airbnb always mention the beds, and this is the area any Airbnb property owner can really shine.
- Remove all bedding and replace with clean linens. Make the beds.
- Dust the furniture and wipe down the surfaces.
- Clean the windows if needed.
- Straighten up the curtains or blinds.
- Check the closets for any possessions left behind by the previous guests, and straighten up the clothes hangers.
- Vacuum the floors.
Linens should always be in good condition, with no signs of usage on them. They should smell fresh and should be pressed so they look really smart on the beds.
Don’t forget to clean any other areas in your Airbnb. For example, you may have a laundry room, garage, dining room or basement.
For each other room in the house, work your way through methodically. In general, the best order to clean a room in is to start from the top and work your way down.
This means starting with the ceiling and working your way down to the floor. This will help to prevent dust and dirt from falling onto surfaces that you have already cleaned.
Here is a suggested order for each room when it comes to how to clean a house:
- Clean the ceiling and walls. Use a duster or microfiber cloth to dust the ceiling and walls. If there are any cobwebs, remove them with a broom or vacuum cleaner.
- Clean the windows and mirrors. Use a damp cloth and glass cleaner to clean the windows and mirrors.
- Clean the furniture. Use a duster or microfiber cloth to dust the furniture. If there are any spills or stains, clean them with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner.
- Vacuum the floor. Use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the floor. Pay attention to any areas that are particularly dirty, such as under furniture or around the fireplace.
- Mop the floor. If the floor is made of wood or tile, you may need to mop it as well. Use a mop and bucket filled with warm water and a mild floor cleaner.
- Take out the trash. Be sure to take out the trash before you finish cleaning.
If your Airbnb property has a yard and other outdoor areas make sure to cut the grass if it needs it, weed any flower beds and water the plants. Sweep up leaves and other debris, and ensure the windows are clean externally.
Occasionally you may need to trim bushes and trees to keep the garden looking neat and tidy.
Take care of the little things
Your final tasks in this Airbnb cleaning checklist are to make your rental home even more amazing.
Water the plants if there are any.
Make sure the towels you provide are nice and soft, and big and fluffy.
It can be a nice touch to have a subtle air freshener in the Airbnb.
There are also a few little things that some five star sellers supply for their guests in their vacation rental business, which you might decide to add to yours.
Here are some nice touches to add to your Airbnb rental:
- Fresh flowers or plants. This is a simple way to add a touch of elegance and freshness to your rental.
- A welcome basket. This is a great way to welcome your guests and provide them with some essentials, such as snacks, drinks, and local information.
- A coffee maker or tea kettle. This is a thoughtful gesture that will allow your guests to make their own coffee or tea in the morning.
- A selection of books or magazines. This is a great way to entertain your guests and provide them with something to read while they are staying with you.
- A games or puzzles. This is a fun way for your guests to relax and have some fun while they are staying with you.
- A welcome note. This is a personal touch that will make your guests feel welcome and appreciated.
- A list of local attractions. This is a helpful resource that will allow your guests to explore the area and find things to do.
- Free Wi-Fi. This is a must-have for most guests, so be sure to provide it.
After you’ve cleaned
- Take a step back and look at your work. Make sure that everything is clean and tidy at a glance.
- Do a final sweep of the property looking for anything obvious like cobwebs or lint.
- Put away all of your cleaning supplies.
- Take away dirty linens so you can wash them for your next guests.
- Take a break and relax. You’ve earned it!
This is a standard short-term rental cleaning checklist, and you may need to add or remove items depending on the specific needs of your Airbnb. It’s also a good idea to get feedback from your guests on how they think the cleaning is going. This will help you identify any areas that need improvement.
Frequently asked questions
Whether an Airbnb host cleans the property themselves or hires a professional cleaning company can vary. Some hosts prefer to handle the cleaning personally to ensure meticulous attention to detail and maintain direct control over the process. On the other hand, other hosts opt for a professional cleaning service to save time, ensure consistent quality, and benefit from the expertise of experienced cleaners. Ultimately, the decision to clean an Airbnb oneself or hire professionals depends on individual preferences, time availability, and budget considerations.
For a standard one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment or small property, a thorough cleaning typically takes around 2 to 3 hours. For larger properties with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, the cleaning time will naturally increase. A two-bedroom, two-bathroom property may take around 3 to 4 hours, while larger properties with more rooms may take 4 to 6 hours or more. It’s essential to allocate sufficient time for cleaning to ensure the property is thoroughly cleaned and well-prepared for the next guests.
Yes, you should provide towels with Airbnb. It is considered one of the essential amenities that guests expect to find in an Airbnb rental. Towels are used for bathing, drying off after a shower, and drying hands. They are also used for beach trips or pool days.
Yes, Airbnb hosts are required to change bed sheets between guests. This is a standard practice for most hosts, as it ensures that each guest has a clean and comfortable stay.
This post contains affiliate links. A full disclosure is available from the main menu.